As stated in the Court of Appeal Record and Courtroom Access Policy (the "Access Policy"), the Court of Appeal recognises openness and accountability to the public as critical to democracy and the rule of law. As are members of the public, members of the media are welcome to cover court proceedings and all courtrooms are open.
Covering a Court of Appeal Proceeding
There are a few points to keep in mind when covering proceedings in the Court of Appeal:
- Electronic Devices: The use of electronic devices in the Court of Appeal is permitted, provided the devices are used in a silent and discreet manner. Video recording is strictly prohibited. Audio recording is permitted by accredited media for the purpose of verifying notes - media accreditation should be prominently displayed. More information on obtaining accreditation and covering proceedings may be found in Part 2 of the Access Policy.
- Publication Bans: Media must abide by all court publication bans. Information about publication bans may be found on this site. A useful list of bans and their effect may be found in Appendix "B" of the Access Policy. Registry staff or the Court clerk at the hearing may be able to assist you with information on publication bans.
- Requests for Interviews: Section 2.6 of the Access Policy covers media interviews. The Chief Justice and Justices of the Court do not comment on specific cases; however, requests for other interviews should be made to the Law Officer at 604-660-0352.
- Hearing Lists: The Court of Appeal posts and also updates its weekly hearing lists, which are available here.
- Accessing Court Files: The Court's Access Policy discusses how to obtain access to court files.
a. Section 1.6: How to Obtain Access to a Civil Court Record
b. Section 1.7: How to Obtain Access to a Criminal Court Record
c. Section 1.8: How to Obtain Access to a Family Court Record
- Court Services Online (CSO): This service will allow you to electronically access certain court records for a fee. The service may be found here.
- Annual Reports: Information and statistics about the operations of the Court of Appeal are contained in the Court's Annual Reports. Information about individual justices may be found here.